Monday, May 16, 2016

Two Very Different Books

Still trying to keep updated on the books I've been reading. In the last few weeks I finished two very different books. 


So, I'll come straight out and say that I don't think this book ^ was very well-written. But it's about the social context surrounding birth, and that's always interested me. A few parts I skipped or skimmed, mostly because certain parts were very blunt. I don't have any problems with bluntness (is that a word?), especially when it comes to birth and fertility. I think anybody could ask me anything and I'd be willing to talk about it. But some sections were just hard for me to read based on past experiences. I have a complicated relationship with the topic of giving birth. I think most, if not all, women who have tried to have children or have had children could probably say the same thing. 


So I found this little YA novel in the Springfield Township library. It's the second in a series. I read the first one--The Thief--when I was a young teenager and loved it. I loved it so much I must have read it three or four times at least, but I didn't even really know there were more. I have to say I was somewhat disappointed with this one. While I was reading, I kept thinking, Well, that's stupid, or, Hey, that doesn't fit the character at all! I can't decide if the first book was really better or if my taste has just improved in the last ten years. Even though I kept being annoyed while reading, I have to concede that I'm definitely interested in reading the next book. Easy adventure books are a necessity every once in a while. 

3 comments:

  1. It's fun to keep up with what you are reading! I started "Unbroken" a couple weeks ago and love it! Next on my list is "Boys in the Boat" thanks to your blog post. Don't stop posting! 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to know I'm not the only one who loved "The Thief" but was disappointed with the 2nd one! I love reading your book reports on here - they give me good ideas for future reading and they've gotten me reading again recently. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: I love love love your new pictures too!

    ReplyDelete