Saturday, May 7, 2016

Took a Little Trip, Took Way Too Many Pictures

So, last week we went on a little adventure. We met Greg's parents in DC, drove to the new Priesthood Restoration site in Harmony, (Oakland) Pennsylvania, and then went up to Ithaca, New York, to see Greg's brother's family. While we were there we all went to Palmyra, the Sacred Grove, and Hill Cumorah. Now, Greg and I have pretty much seen all of the church history sites together. It has been so fun to be able to live on the East Coast and get to see all of this awesome stuff. Of course, we packed along our brand new camera. 

Harmony, Pennsylvania. This is where the priesthood was restored to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery. 

Joseph and Emma's first home, right next to where Emma's parents lived. 


Where Emma grew up: 





The new visitors' center. 


Isn't Pennsylvania beautiful? It was getting dark but I still wanted to try out some of the features on my cool camera! 


The area where they think the Priesthood was restored. It was pretty dark by then...


These pictures below are from Joseph Smith's family home in Palmyra, New York. This is where the First Vision occurred. 

The log home...a reproduction. 


The frame house...85% original.


The threshing barn. This barn actually belonged to Brigham Young's father and was moved to the Smith farm as a representation. It was so pretty I couldn't help being all artsy and stuff. 



The creek Joseph would have crossed to get from his home to the Sacred Grove. I didn't realize the area where he went to pray belonged to his family and was very close to his home. 



The grove. Such a peaceful place. 





Happy girl. 


My father-in-law, looking pensive. 


My cute nephew, James. 



The grove was just starting to get some nice green undergrowth. 


My family...Heather, Greg, Brynn, Steve, Geri, Alexander, Morgan, James, Stephanie.


Cute, candid shot of Greg's parents. 



Alexander and Brynn, playing and being adorable. 






The Hill Cumorah, where the plates that became the Book of Mormon were recovered. 

This is what the hill would have looked like in Joseph Smith's day, with trees. 






Inside the Visitors' Center. I love our family! 


This was such a great trip for us to be able to go on. I've never visited the Sacred Grove before. It was peaceful and beautiful. I feel grateful to know of how much God loves us, and how much people have sacrificed over the years for something they knew was right. And I'm so grateful I got to spend time with my family. The gospel matters so much to me because I know that it binds families together forever, and this means that I can be happy and at peace, no matter what. 


1 comment:

  1. What a fun trip! I love Brynn's hat. I think she looks more like Greg as she gets older. And that's such a cute picture of Greg's parents!

    ReplyDelete