Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Finally Read That McCullough Book

I said I would keep posting about books I'm reading, and so here I am. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that I haven't read this book before, especially since we borrowed it from my in-laws about five years ago. Last week I finished David McCullough's 1776.


You hear in elementary school about all the sacrifices regular soldiers made during the Revolutionary War, but it doesn't really sink in until you read the stories of individuals. Similarly, I always thought I had an appreciation for George Washington, but there was so much I just didn't know. At one point Washington's personal secretary and close friend totally lost faith in him, and was writing other generals about how inept Washington was. Washington's reaction was so humble and compassionate. Washington didn't have an amazing military mind at all--he was simply one flawed man who was willing to sacrifice for something he believed in. I love stories like this because I'm reminded that we don't have to be "great" before we do great things. Great things happen when we're willing to try our best in spite of having a clear knowledge of all our shortcomings.

On another note, Brynn's new favorite thing to do is play with the keys on the laptop while I'm typing. I'm going to let her write her first blog post:

1
00
010
2..000000536
+5559+++++++++04
40|
2560

No comments:

Post a Comment