Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Books - Post 6

I'm way behind on my book posts, people. Some of these I feel like I read ages ago. So here's just a quick trip through my reading life lately.

The Magnolia Story - Chip and Joanna Gaines. Cute. They're so likable.

When Breath Becomes Air - Paul Kalanithi. If you want to read an extremely powerful memoir, read this. Paul Kalanithi was a neurosurgeon diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. He and his wife made the brave decision to start a family. Such beautiful lessons about life, death, and our relationship with God.

The Conscience of a Conservative - Jeff Flake. I went to High School with some of the Flake kids, and he was my representative growing up. Although I'm pretty sure that tons of people--both conservatives and liberals--will HATE this, I just so wholeheartedly agree with his assessment of the floundering of the Republican party, and I appreciate Flake's desire to speak the truth even though there will probably be very real consequences. When did we become the party of xenophobia and nativism? Stop it, guys. Just stop it. Nationalism is not patriotism, and stating this "is not an act of apostasy" but "an act of fidelity." A great read to understand the Trump years and what changes we can make, even though, like I said, I'm pretty sure lots of people I know will hate this.

The Stranger - Camus. Meh.

The Omnivore's Dilemma - Michael Pollan. Got kind of political at times but I probably should have expected that. I agree with Pollan that we have lost touch with our eating roots, and I should have more awareness of where my food comes from. Very interesting.

The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls. A re-read. Heartbreaking and mind blowing, one of those books that everyone should read at least once.

The Revenant - Michael Punke. Grizzly bears and fur trappers and revenge and stuff.

Hillbilly Elegy - J.D. Vance. My pick for a family book club. I totally understand why this book has become so popular. Such an important read. It's basically a memoir about family life in white working class Appalachia written from the perspective of a man who left and went to Yale Law. A great read to understand the Trump years...is it just me or do I sound like a broken record? Sad and raw and real and critical to understanding America now, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment